Sunday, October 21, 2007

2nd Element for "The Rake"

I cant think of a worse feeling than helplessness. Utter helplessness. Really, when you have no hope at all, no help at all, what do you have? I guess hopelessness and helplessness go hand in hand because if you don't have help, you tend to lose all hope. Both feelings are a lack of something vital. You always need help, especially in adolescence. To be young and feel helpless is something I cant even imagine. It's almost as though you cant feel helpless if you have a good support system at home. When your support system constantly fails you, that is when you feel helpless. And when you're young, your strongest support system should be, and usually is, your parents.

I know if my family was to fail me and treat me like the author's family treated him, I would feel helpless too. It would make me so bitter; towards my family, towards everyone. If I was being physically and verbally abused daily, I know I would feel helpless as well. If my mom didn't stand up for me when my stepfather (if i had one) stared to abuse me or my sister, I would feel helpless, like there was no way out of the hell I was living in. If your own mother won't help you, then who will?

No comments: